The Department of Public Information and NGOs cooperate regularly. NGOs associated with DPI disseminate information about the UN to their membership, thereby building knowledge of and support for the Organization at the grassroots level. This dissemination includes, publicizing UN activities around the world on such issues as peace and security, economic and social development, human rights, humanitarian affairs and international law. Additionally, promote UN observances and international years established by the General Assembly to focus world attention on important issues facing humanity.
The NGO Relations Section within the Department of Public Information at the United Nations is the link with approximately 1,300 Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs) who are partners and members in association with the Department of Public Information and support the UN efforts to disseminate information on the priority issues on its agenda, including sustainable development, creating a safer and more secure world, the importance of prevention, helping countries in transition, empowering women and young people, and addressing poverty, among others.
The Section is also responsible for:
- Facilitating the exchange of information and developing partnerships with civil society.
- Reaching out to civil society partners around the world and enhancing their interaction with, and understanding of, the work of the UN.
- Providing information to representatives of civil society about the UN, its agencies, funds and programmes and identifying opportunities for NGO support for the Organization at the international, regional, national and community levels.
- Organizing, in cooperation with the NGO/DPI Executive Committee, the host country, and other partners from the UN system, the Annual UN DPI/NGO Conference-the yearly premier NGO event which attracts some 1,500 NGO representatives from approximately 70 countries.
- 33 weekly NGO Briefings;
- Two one-day-long DPI/NGO Communications Workshops;
- A two-day Orientation Programme for new NGO representatives;
- A one-day Orientation Programme for Youth Representatives
- The maintenance of two websites.
For more information Click Here